Sean Owen Clancy, Ph.D.
- Experienced leader and people manager, scientist, and instructor with a strong background in chemistry, data and instrumental analysis, materials science and engineering, and product and process creation and modification, while leveraging expertise in leadership training and interdepartmental communication.
- Extensive experience in laboratory management, product development, and materials analysis for advanced technology and research applications in academia, aerospace/defense/military, corporate, early- and late-stage startups, government contractors, and medical research groups.
- Well-versed in project management, creating and leading technical teams, business development, process development, writing and editing technical publications, and providing instruction in classroom/lecture and laboratory/manufacturing settings.
- Authored more than 20 publications and presented a variety of technical subjects to local, regional, and international audiences at conferences for trades, universities, and other events.
Director of Materials Science, HZO, Inc., October 2020 to Present
- Lead the Materials Science team in metrology for coating property characterization and performance, as well as the selection of material precursors and deposition processes for protective coatings for corrosion mitigation and reliability enhancement of electronic devices.
Director of Coating Technology, HZO, Inc., July 2019 to October 2020
- Led the Coating Technology team in developing new and optimizing existing conformal coating materials and processes through chemical vapor deposition (CVD) and other methods.
Chemical Engineer, HZO, Inc., Draper, UT, January 2018 to July 2019
- Developed new materials and deposition processes for advanced coatings for protecting electronics, as well as served as technical consultant and resident Subject Matter Expert (SME) on coatings and electronics manufacturing industry best practices in cross-functional teams.
Adjunct Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, March 2018 to Present
- Serve as an advisor to full-time faculty, students, and the Materials Characterization Lab (MCL) in the Department of Materials Science & Engineering (MSE).
CEO, Co-Founder, & Principal Consultant, Clancy & Associates Technical Services LLC, Draper, UT, October 2016 to July 2019
- Provided consulting services in the STEAM fields (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics) with practical solutions to development, manufacturing, and process issues, as well as advice, instrumental analysis, teaching materials, and training services.
Associate Director & Program Manager, Materials Characterization Lab, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, April 2017 to January 2018
- Managed the MCL in the MSE Department at the University of Utah, including managing staff, scheduling, & billing; advising on, performing, & training of laboratory processes; maintenance, repair, and training on advanced scientific equipment.
Chemist and Project Manager, HZO, Inc., Draper, UT, April 2014 to July 2016
- Developed new materials and deposition processes for advanced coatings, as well as served as technical consultant and resident Subject Matter Expert (SME) on coatings and electronics manufacturing industry best practices in cross-functional teams with Engineering, Intellectual Property/Legal, Marketing, Operations, Quality, Sales, Strategy, and Technology groups.
Research Associate/Chemist, ACI Technologies, Inc., Philadelphia, PA, May 2008 to January 2014
- Managed high-value projects in electronics manufacturing for the US Navy and managed laboratory services for commercial customers, which included building and managing diverse, multidisciplinary teams, coordinating and planning analyses, and developing and selecting test methods.
Staff Scientist, NanoSelect, Inc., Newark, DE, May 2006 to March 2008
- Designed, synthesized, and analyzed materials for functional coatings for electrodes on integrated circuits serving as electrochemical sensors for analytes in aqueous solution.
- Certificate, Project Management, University of Delaware, Wilmington, DE
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Polymer Science, Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division, China Lake, CA
- Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- B.S., Chemistry, University of North Florida, Jacksonville, FL
- Analytical, Organic, Physical, and Polymer Chemistry
- Business Development & Value Creation
- Chemical, Materials, Mechanical, Physical, and Instrumental Analysis
- Continuous Improvement
- Electronics Manufacturing
- Functional & Protective Coatings
- Laboratory Management
- Marketing Research & Document Creation
- Materials and Process Development
- Multidisciplinary Team Building & Leadership
- Optical Materials & Testing
- Product and Project Management
- Quality Control & Quality Assurance
- Performance & Reliability Testing
- Research and Development
- Root Cause Failure Analysis
- Surface Analysis & Modification
- Technical Writing
- Training – Instrumentation, Processes, & More
- Technology Development