Sean Owen Clancy, Ph.D.
- Experienced scientist and project manager with a strong background in product and process creation and modification, data and instrumental analysis, and material science and engineering.
- Proven skills in project management, organization, and research, leveraging expertise in leadership training and interdepartmental communication.
- Innovative and efficient candidate, who goes the extra mile to be a professional, kind, and ethical resource for not only his team but the company as a whole.
Adjunct Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, March 2018 to Present
Serve as an advisor to full-time faculty, students, and the Materials Characterization Lab (MCL) in the Department of Materials Science & Engineering (MSE).
CEO, Co-Founder, & Principal Consultant, Clancy & Associates Technical Services LLC, Draper, UT, October 2016 to Present
- Provide consulting for companies and other organizations in the STEAM fields (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics).
- Provide business services and practical solutions to development, manufacturing, and process issues, as well as advice, teaching materials, and training services.
Chemical Engineer, HZO, Inc., Draper, UT, January 2018 to Present
Develop new materials and deposition processes for advanced coatings, as well as serve as a technical consultant and resident Subject Matter Expert (SME) on coatings and electronics manufacturing industry best practices in cross-functional teams.
Associate Director & Program Manager, Materials Characterization Lab, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, April 2017 to January 2018
- Managed the Materials Characterization Lab in the MSE Department at the University of Utah, including managing staff, scheduling, laboratory analysis, equipment training, and billing.
- Developed MSE Department internship program with a course on instrumental analysis for identifying materials and conducting investigations for determining a root cause, along with a survey of soft skills that would increase a student’s likelihood of career success.
- Created marketing collateral and outreach programs to promote and increase usage of the MCL and lead tours of the lab for visitors.
- Created process for digitizing books, equipment manuals, training certificates, etc.
- Created Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for equipment, processes, lab analysis, reporting, and other tasks to develop a quality management system for the MCL.
- Wrote proposals for new equipment acquisitions and interacted with equipment vendors.
Chemist and Project Manager, HZO, Inc., Draper, UT, April 2014 to July 2016
- Developed new materials and deposition processes for advanced coatings, as well as served as a technical consultant and resident Subject Matter Expert (SME) on vacuum deposited and hybrid (ceramic-organic) coatings, in addition to conventional conformal coatings, electronics manufacturing materials and processes, cleaning, cleanliness testing, adhesion promotion, manufacturability, and industry best practices for the Engineering, Marketing, Operations, Quality, Sales, Strategy, Technology, and other groups.
- Created Quality Control (QC) inspection guidelines and specifications for chemicals and customer products in close cooperation with the Engineering, Purchasing, Supply Chain, Quality, and Technology groups.
- Designed experiments, ran equipment, and trained users on metrology tools and methods, cleaning, plasma cleaning, adhesion promotion, and Parylene deposition.
- Managed and performed metrology on coating materials for properties (contact angle, FTIR, microscopy, SEM-EDS, specular reflectance, UV-Vis-NIR, etc.) and performance (immersion, salt fog, sulfur corrosion, UV aging, WVTR, etc.), as well as reliability & qualification testing.
- Created business development guidance through documents, presentations, and other collateral, as well as delivered communications through a variety of technologies, and traveling to domestic and foreign prospective customers to provide clear and concise information on surface preparation, conformal coatings, masking / de-masking, and rework processes.
- Liaised with the IPC and SMTA (electronics manufacturing trade organizations) and participate on cleaning, conformal coatings, corrosion, solder mask, testing, and other committees.
- Presented “Protecting electronics from the deleterious effects of liquids and other contaminants at the molecular level” at the IPC-SMTA High-Reliability Cleaning and Conformal Coating Conference in November 2014.
- Presented “Surface preparation is critical for conformal coating protection” at the SMTA Intermountain Chapter Meeting in March 2016.
- Wrote “Competitive analysis of Parylene coatings based on metrology” that was published in the November 2015 issue of Printed Circuit Design & Fab/Circuits Assembly.
Research Associate/Chemist, ACI Technologies, Inc., Philadelphia, PA, May 2008 to January 2014
- Managed projects involving atomic layer deposition (ALD) coatings for near-hermetic protection, conductive epoxy automated dispense, corrosion-resistant coatings, high-voltage encapsulation using silicones, sensor networks for energy management, and other projects for the US Navy’s Center of Excellence in Electronics Manufacturing, known as the Electronics Manufacturing Productivity Facility (EMPF), as well as the Benchmarking and Best Practices Center of Excellence (B2PCOE).
- Led the analytical services and failure analysis group, which included building and managing diverse, multi-disciplinary teams, coordinating and planning analyses, and developing and selecting test methods.
- Independently planned, quoted, managed, and executed root cause failure analysis and materials characterization projects based on customer requirements for hardware and manufacturing processes for aerospace, automotive, commercial, defense, industrial, medical device, and scientific instrument customers with analytical and manufacturing services in an ISO 9001:2008 Quality System registered production facility, and according to ASTM, IPC, JEDEC, MIL, and other standards.
- Delivered over 250 project reports with greater than $550k in commercial sales. Assisted on more than 300 other projects with planning, execution, and peer review of reports with an additional $600k in commercial sales.
- Wrote “Failure analysis techniques for electronics” book and eleven articles for EMPFasis with two republished in Printed Circuit Design & Fab/Circuits Assembly.
- Updated curriculum and delivered instruction for Failure Analysis & Electronics courses.
- Certificate, Project Management, University of Delaware
- Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Southern California
- B.S., Chemistry, University of North Florida
- Problem Solving
- Technical Writing, Marketing, & Training
- Laboratory & Project Management
- Analytical, Synthetic Organic, & Polymer Chemistry
- Root Cause Failure Analysis
- Electronics Manufacturing
- Conformal Coatings
- Corrosion Mitigation
- Materials & Process Development
- Surface Modification
- Thin Films
- ATR-FTIR, GC-MS, GPC, HPLC, IC, NMR, UV-Vis-NIR
- AFM / SPM, Optical Microscopy, Metallography, SEM-EDS, X-Ray Imaging, XRF
- Cleanliness Testing & Residue Analysis
- Cross-Sectional Analysis
- Destructive Physical Analysis (DPA) & Non-Destructive Testing (NDT)
FCC Amateur Radio Technician Operator Class License, Call Sign: KF4RGV
Advanced user of applications and services on Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, iOS, Android, and the Internet
Additional information about my professional experience, skills, and interests, as well as copies of my presentations and publications, are available at seanclancy.org