My graduate research presentation can be downloaded as a PDF.
A summary of my research can be viewed here. It is entitled: “Design, syntheses, and analyses of organic materials for electronic, photonic, or medicinal applications.”
My dissertation, publications, and related writing examples can be found here.
A list of my chemistry skills, containing my characterization, purification, polymer, and synthetic organic skills, is located here.
You can also view presentations of my research at NAWCWD, USC, and MCJ, by clicking on each of the images below.
- ACI Technologies, Inc., Philadelphia, PA
- Description: Provided chemistry expertise relating to failure analysis and process recommendations for commercial analytical and manufacturing services.
- Industry: Electronics manufacturing
- Achievements: Used my knowledge and experience towards improving current and developing new technology. Spoke at the Nano for Business 2010 Conference on the panel for Nanotechnology Health and Safety on the topic of large consequence equipment failures due to tin whiskers. Wrote eleven EMPFasis articles on failure analysis and materials processes, of which two were republished in Printed Circuit Design & Fab/Circuits Assembly: the Journal of Surface Mount and Electronics Assembly.
- Status: Evaluated devices for failure analysis and processing, including state of cleanliness and solderability.
- Contacts: Analytical chemists; chemical, electrical, and mechanical engineers; materials scientists; etc. Most of my colleagues were from disciplines other than chemistry, so I was able to converse well with people that have other skill sets.
- NanoSelect, Inc., Newark, DE
- Description: Designed, synthesized, and characterized materials for use in sensors.
- Industry: Applied research in environmental monitoring in a start up industrial setting.
- Achievements: Used my knowledge and experience towards developing new technology.
- Status: Synthesized materials and evaluated devices.
- Contacts: Analytical chemists; chemical, electrical, and mechanical engineers; materials scientists; synthetic organic chemists; etc. Many of my colleagues were from a variety of foreign countries: China; India; Panama; Turkey; and others.
- Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division, Materials and Chemistry Division, Polymer Science and Engineering Branch, China Lake, CA
- Description: Design and synthesis of heterocyclic and nonheterocyclic conjugated polymers for use in electro-optical devices, photovoltaics, and advanced charge storage devices (supercapacitors).
- Industry: Applied research. Military with academic and industrial collaborations. The work spans several branches of chemistry: organic and polymer synthesis; analytical characterization, using electrochemistry, NMR and optical spectroscopy, etc.; chemical engineering, for device applications and considerations; etc.
- Achievements: Synthesized and characterized polymers with novel architectures. Expanded on my synthetic organic methodology to include more heterocyclic chemistry. Learned how to perform electro-analytical chemistry experiments on polymer systems.
- Status: Left my position as a Postdoctoral Researcher when I obtained employment in Delaware.
- Contacts: Analytical chemists; chemical / polymer engineers; explosives chemists; organic / polymer synthetic chemists; etc.
- University of Southern California, Department of Chemistry and Loker Hydrocarbon Research Institute, Los Angeles, CA
- Description: Designed and synthesized conjugated polymers and organic ligands. Tuned their photophysical properties by changing the structure of the systems. Developed experiments to determine energy transfer parameters for polymers donating energy to visible and infrared emissive materials.
- Industry: Applied research. Academic with academic collaborations. The work spanned several branches of chemistry: organic and polymer synthesis; analytical characterization, using NMR and optical spectroscopy, etc.; physical organic; etc.
- Achievements: Synthesized and characterized polymers with novel architectures. Energy transfer was shown to occur from polymer to organic ligand to lanthanide ion. Expanded on my knowledge of organic synthesis and structure-property relationship studies. Learned how to perform optical spectroscopy experiments, with fluorescence, phosphorescence, and lifetime studies. Preliminary studies led to MRS, PMSE, and SPIE publications, as well as oral and poster presentations at national conferences.
- Status: Finished the research, which went into my dissertation, then led to my defense and graduation.
- Contacts: Analytical chemists; crystallographers; electrical engineers; organic / polymer synthetic chemists; organometallic chemists; physical chemists; scientific glassblowers; etc. Many of my colleagues were from a variety of foreign countries: China; Finland; Japan; India; Sri Lanka; Sweden; and others.
- Mayo Clinic Jacksonville, Chemical Synthesis Core Facility, Neurochemistry Research, Jacksonville, FL
- Description: Synthesized carbohydrates, amino acids, peptides, monomers and oligomers of peptide nucleic acids (PNAs) via solution or solid-phase synthesis.
- Industry: Applied research. Medicinal with academic collaborations. The work spanned several branches of science: organic synthesis, in-solution and solid-state synthesis; analytical characterization, using polarimetry, NMR spectroscopy, etc.; molecular biology; etc.
- Achievements: My work led to multiple publications for the primary investigators. Learned a great deal about how to perform synthetic organic research and structure-activity relationship studies. Trained as a Hazardous Materials Technician for membership on MCJ’s Chemical Spill Team.
- Status: Left my position as Research Technologist when I started graduate school.
- Contacts: Analytical chemists; medical doctors; molecular biologists; neuroscientists; organic synthetic chemists; etc. Many of my colleagues were from a variety of foreign countries: Algeria; China; Pakistan; and others.